8D. Step 4. Root Cause Analysis. Part 1: FishBone
Detailed Problem Description
- Thanks to a detailed description of the problem through 5W + 2H, we get a more detailed representation of it in comparison with the original (http://www.xmind.net/m/fcnd).
- Regression testing (main scenarios) is carried out in the end of 14 iteration (before the release), a large number of regression bugs with high priority and severity lead to delay in product release, because the basic customers scenarios do not work correctly.
- For Root Cause Analysis we use the Ishikawa diagram (Fish Bone) and "5 Why " method.
Lead a brainstorming session and identify all the possible causes of the problem. Answer by question: Why did it happen? For all possible causes you can use most deeper analyse.
The maine aim: to find root course and further solution.
Note: do not find a guilty person and we try to find problems in process.
After all possible reasons were considered, you need to prioritize hight likely causes for next analyse ("5 Why " method)
- We decided: Testers do not have feedback from developers
- There is not enough knowledge in the business area
- There is not enough qualification in testing / analysis / development
- Many distractions
- Low motivation
- Blurred vision
- Non-constructive perception of criticism
- Inattention to the details of functional implementation specified in the US
- We misjudged the time for the US implementation
- US priority was estimated wrong
- Risks were estimated wrong
- There are no acceptance test cases for US
- No atomic tasks for programmers for US
- The procedure for working with requirements is not clear
- Acceptance test cases were not passed
- Different understanding of US contents
- Features depend on services implemented by other teams in other projects
- There is no formalized US transfer procedure: from developer to tester
- Insufficient preparation for iteration planning
- US are changed during sprint
- Lack of prototyping the interface
- Testers do not have feedback from developers
- Some external programs block our software
- The required versions of the required software are not installed
- Iterations with related groups are not synchronized
- Ploblems with servers
- Required software were not available
- Errors with a project build in CI
- The US description is not atomic
- Conflict new and existing features (Product was started with another Team)
- Iteration changes caused significant changes in the bases scenarios
- The functionality implemented in the early iterations does not correspond to the stakeholder requremetns
- Changes in implementation not approved in the JS and TK after the sending of the functional to the development
- Problems with Autotests